From the desk of Kathryn Tillett, MSSW CSW, Kentucky AWARE Project Director, Kentucky Department of Education, Division of Student Success, Office of Continuous Improvement and Support
In partnership with KDE, University of Kentucky Center on Trauma and Children is offering Trauma-Informed Practices for Educators and School Personnel Learning Collaboratives. There will be three learning collaboratives held during 2022-2023: two in person and one virtual option. There is no charge for participation.
- Prepare to meet the requirements of the School Safety and Resilience Act
- Understand the types of trauma exposure school age children experience
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of traumatic stress
- Learn the effects of trauma on the developing brain
- Appreciate the impact of trauma on cognitive, social, emotional and behavioral functioning
- Learn and practice school-based strategies to build resilience and support improved self-regulation to mitigate the negative effects of trauma exposure on students
- Understand the impact of secondary trauma exposure on school staff
- Learn how to create a trauma-informed team
- Develop realistic goals and plans for implementing trauma-informed approaches in their schools and problem-solve barriers to implementation and sustainability
Please contact Joshua.firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.