From the desk of Jon Akers, Executive Director of Kentucky Center for School Safety
With the implementation of HB63 that requires school resource officers on all school campuses, the Kentucky Center for School Safety started an SRO Mentoring Program this past fall. We have been pairing new (or relatively new) SROs with experienced SROs from around the state. This program would provide your SRO with a mentor that would provide one on one support throughout the school year. Please see the brochure for more information. If you know of a new SRO that would benefit from this program, please let me know.
Also, I wanted to remind you that Feb. 15 is School Resource Officer Appreciation Day! Following the National Association of School Resource Officers, we are encouraging Kentucky schools to recognize the accomplishments of their SROs that day. Here are ways you can participate:
- Encourage your local media to cover National School Resource Officer Appreciation Day. You can find the press release that NASRO sent to national media outlets here.
- Encourage your local representatives to “make it official” in your city or county. A simple email asking for a proclamation to your local representatives will usually suffice. You can use the NASRO proclamation as a framework.
- Share our social media posts with your followers — you can find Facebook and Instagram posts here.
- Post on social media using the hashtags #NationalSchoolResourceOfficerAppreciationDay #NationalSchoolResourceOfficerAppreciationDay2023 #SROsAreValuable
- Let your school safety partners know! You can view the official proclamation here.